How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19312
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a copy of my deceased fathers discharge papers from

Customer Question

I need a copy of my deceased fathers discharge papers from the Army
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

You would need to submit a request for military records to the national archives, where these sorts of records are deposited following a separation from the service.

There, you can submit an online request or print off a paper form to submit, using an SF-180 Form. To be able to obtain the records, you have to be next of kin. Regrettably, if you are not next of kin, then you have to have the request come from next of kin, because such records are not public information. If your mother is still living, for example, then she would need to submit the request as next of kin.

There is a archive location and I put up the military service records request page specifically.