Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am trying to receive full involuntary separation pay from

Customer Question
the US Navy. My career...
I am trying to receive full involuntary separation pay from the US Navy. My career counselor has already sent all the paperwork to ISP for the Individual Ready Reserve. We received a letter back from the ISP coordinator today saying that I was denied IRR. That's ok. Acceptance is not a requirement for ISP (MILPERSMAN 1920-040). You are however required to apply for the IRR as a condition for receiving ISP. I meet all the criteria for full separation pay:
1) My separation evaluation recommends me for retention
2) My separation is involuntary due to HYT.
3) My separation is honorable.
4) I have served for 12 years.
Will I receive full separation pay? I was reduced to E4. Because of this I have to involuntarily separate due to HYT. There should be no issue right? I meet all the requirements since I am "retention eligible" according to my separation evaluation. My separation date is October 20, 2015. Is there a deadline to obtaining this payment or a timeline for determination?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
10/7/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I agree with you. If the basis for separation is HYT, you have served more than 6 years, have applied to the IRR and are receiving an honorable discharge you will rate seps pay. There is no reason for them to deny. IF they did? You could hire a lawyer and sue to force them to pay...but by regulation you rate full seps pay.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer