Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Will my son get a medical discharge after an ankle surgery

Customer Question
while in Air Force boot...
Will my son get a medical discharge after an ankle surgery while in Air Force boot camp?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2015
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.

We can't really answer that question specifically. What I mean is, we can't say what WILL happen because military law doesn't work like that. Commanders are not compelled into certain actions based on a legal playbook. Rather, commanders are given a spectrum of options to work from and they can legally choose among those options.

Can your son be medically discharged? Yes, that is possible if he is unable to perform the necessary functions of the military for the foreseeable future. He doesn't have to be separated if he would still be able to function, but may require extended therapy and a profile against running for a period of time.

A commander would have to consider all the facts and circumstances, the recommendations of the chain of command and medical personnel, and then choose how to proceed based on those recommendations. It is though ultimately the decision of the commander on what to do.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer