Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have an RE-3G from the Navy. I feel I was wrongfully given

Customer Question
that RE code because the...
I have an RE-3G from the Navy. I feel I was wrongfully given that RE code because the reason I got separated was due to my response to harrassment from my class. No staff from the command would respond to the fact I was harassed. How hard would it be to get that RE code changed to an RE-1?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
9/17/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

You have an uphill battle.

The process to request the upgrade is simple; you use DD form 149 and make the request to the board of corrections the naval records.

That said, in order to convince the board and corrections to grant your request you have to prove the Navy made a mistake even giving you the wrong code. Unless you can prove they gave the wrong code, the board will not make the change.

And if you were discharged prior to the end of your contact? It is highly unlikely that you would be able to gain the requested change. The RE 1 is reserved for members who complete the entire contract.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that this is something you can change but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up. Wanted to check if you have more questions; if you do please let me know and I will be happy to answer them. If not, please rate the answer as that is the only way I receive credit.

Thanks

Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer