How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19302
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an attorney representing a service member who died

Customer Question

Hello. I'm an attorney representing a service member who died recently. I'm trying to see if the service member had a will prepared by a JAG attorney. How to I go about this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, we don't keep records in that fashion. By that, I mean that there is not an external database showing when we have done legal work for a certain person, like creating a will. As you can imagine, that is confidential information.

We also don't maintain hard copies for wills. At best, ***** ***** has a notary sheet with the person's name and signature on it, but even that is unlikely.

The other issue that you have is we, as attorneys, move on a regular basis from base to base. So, even if you could locate which base the person was at, you'd then have to try and figure out who was stationed there at the time.

We also don't draft many of our wills, having paralegals pre-draft them (different paralegals within the office), so there would be no means for me to recall who I may have reviewed wills for in the past.

The point is that unless you already know the attorney involved, the base that it was drafted at, and it was drafted in the very recent past, there is no practical method of determining the answer to this question.