How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19306
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I done 2 years in the usmc then went u a. 1988. Can I get my

Customer Question

I done 2 years in the usmc then went u a. 1988. Can I get my discharge up dated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

I believe you mean upgraded. Given the length of time you are talking about here, you are beyond the DD Form 293 discharge upgrade process statute of limitations. You'd have to file a DD Form 149 with the records corrections board.

You'd have to be prepared to explain why you waited this long to try and upgrade. Furthermore, you'd have to prove that your discharge status was given to you in error or as an injustice. There is no automatic right to upgrade after the passage of time. If you can't show error or injustice, you won't get it upgraded.