Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I will need some assistance with CSRC. I only had 18 months…

I will need some assistance...
I will need some assistance with CSRC. I only had 18 months active duty and was retired E4 as 100% medical disabled. I am 90% with VA. My retiree statement from DFAS lists my gross pay as $1087 with the VA waiver listed as $1995. DFASW is telling me that my CRSC award will only be $53/month because I only had 18 months (rounded up to 2 years) service. I thought that was exactly what the CSRC was supposed to take care of.
Michael Springer (###) ###-####***@******.***
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/22/2015
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
SOrry...I do not understand your question. Would it help to chat on the phone about this?
Are you familiar with the Combat Related Special Compensation law/program. It allows combat injured veterans to receive compensation that is not offset by any VA disability, which is currently my situation. I have been awarded a 90% CSRC award by army human resources command. The award itself is calculated by Defense Finance and Accounting Support (DFAS). They are saying that my monthly CSRC award will be $53 based on my 2 years service. My contention is that they not use length of service to calculate the amount of pay, but the % of award from CSRC, which would be as follows
Base pay $1087/mo times 90%(award percent) equals $978, NOT the $53/month they told me by phone when I called to ask.
Is this something you are familiar with.
Thanks, ***** *****(###) ###-####cell
I am quite familiar... I am a veteran services officer in file claims with the VA every week.
I will send the offer for a phone call; if you accept we can chat on the phone.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Can we talk tomorrow or Monday (better). I am in WA state.(###) ###-####is cellphone. Let me know the time and day you wish to call me.
Thank you,
Michael Springer
Tomorrow in late morning ? Say 1100?
11:00am pacific daylight time is fine. I will await your call an thank you
Michael
Can do