Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

If I just renlisted new duty station (hawaii). Can I

Customer Question
If I just renlisted for...
If I just renlisted for a new duty station (hawaii). Can I renegotiate my contract since I haven't left to Hawaii?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
8/21/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Sorry...I want to make sure I understand. You reenlisted for duty station and selected HI? And you were already there?

No I haven't left to Hawaii yet
If you already reenlisted? Already signed the contract?
It is too late to negotiate.
A reenlistment contract is, in many ways, exactly like other contracts (for example, for a home purchase).
Both sides are free to negotiate the terms.
But once the terms are agreed to and the parties sign the contract? It is no longer possible to negotiate the terms (unless both sides agree)
So, in your case, if you already have reenlisted? It is not possible for you to demand they provide you any incentives.
That said, you can certainly engage with your chain of command to see if they can assist you with attempting to get the next duty station you want.
Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to help if I can
If I'm on a assignment can I still submit a IPCOT

Sure,,but it is up to the service to approve or deny this request.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer