How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired Army Reserve (63 years old - 34 years service)

Customer Question

I am retired Army Reserve (63 years old - 34 years service)
I do not know if I am eligible for JAG assistance - but here is my question -
I was hospitalized in a civilian hospital from 12 Oct - 3 Nov. I had a Subarachnoid bleed, which my civilian doctor is surprised that I survived.
Problem - all of my hospital bills have been paid. But the billing at Riverside Critical Care is giving me problems.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Medical billing issues can be tricky. The best way to get started is by getting as much documentation as possible (do not rely on someone at your insurance saying "it is all paid" - get the documents showing how much is being billed, and which of your insurance carriers has paid, and how much.

  • Once you have a fully itemized bill (you should request the itemized bill from the provider), you can then start by deducting the payments each of your insurance carriers has paid.
  • Make sure that each of your carrier's payments has been properly credited.
  • Once you have done this, there may or may not be a remainder.
  • Make sure that the amount that you are being charged or billed is only that remainder (nothing more).
  • Then ask the provider for a "Payment Assistance Application" (PAA) from their billing department, this is a secondary form of payment assistance that gives you an ability to receive a reduction or waiver of this remainder.
  • After the PAA is processed, if there is again an amount due (any remainder after that), you can try negotiating a payment with them (either pay in full, a payment plan, or reduced or partial payment). Hopefully by this point there will not be anything for you to pay.