How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14359
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 12 years was a Navy reservist from 1984 to

Customer Question

My husband of 12 years was a Navy reservist from 1984 to 2007 when he retired. He filed pre-retirement papers in 2005 and then he filed his actual retirement papers in 2007. When he filed the 2005 paperwork we were not even married a year. He recently (a few months ago) that I was not on the survivor benefits and he told me that I would need an Act of Congress to change that-a new enrollment period. I began to do research and contacted Senator Isakson's office in Georgia for help. I found out that there was a federal law enacted in 2001 that required my written consent to being taken off of the survivor benefits. The law also required a valid notarization of my signature. To me, that makes sense. It is an important benefit you are giving up and your valid consent should be required. My husband has since admitted that he forged my signatures in 2005 and 2007. At the same time he was assuring me that if he should pass before me, I would get his benefits to live on. To make matters even worse, he knew he could not get a valid notary to notarize the forged signature and without my presence, so he found a sleazy security officer at the CDC in Atlanta where he worked (the man was subsequently fired for spreading pron on CDC computers to male employees) and told him he needed a favor "on the sly". He told this man that he had forged my signature and needed a notary to notarize it fraudulently. This man, Neil F. Loren, fraudulently notarized my forged signature twice.Now I understand why he claims he lost his retirement paperwork. He has been diagnosed by Kaiser Permanente as being an anti-social personality/psychopath and habitual lying is part of this syndrome. As you can imagine, my life has been very difficult. The federal law here was violated and I am wondering can I get JAG involved? I should not be denied the survivor benefits. I never would have agreed to that. I had just given him $50,000 to buy this house we could not afford and I believed in him. Can I get help? He just got out of his 2nd bankruptcy (he ran up $170,000 worth of credit debt behind my back in the first 4 years of our marriage-we had the money to pay our bills and be comfortable-I recently learned that he has been in money trouble his entire life-he believes if he puts it on credit he will not have to pay it) and living on his pensions is very tight. The CDC was going to fire him in the fall of 1983-for very good reasons. In his 12 years with them, he was suspended twice for two serious infractions and reprimanded numerous time. I begged for the CDC to not fire him and just let him retire. They just wanted him gone. I cannot blame theml His brother and family have disowned him totally. Money is tight and I am just trying to keep a roof over our heads. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma. However, I do not understand your specific question; are you asking if JAG will assist you with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your kind words. I need to know if JAG will help me or get involved and how do I proceed because my husband has clearly violated the federal law that seems to have been designed to protect people like myself from just this kind of activity. What does an injured spouse do and who do I contact in the Navy? My husband has filled out the Navy form admitting to his crimes. My next thing is to contact the bankruptcy court about the forgeries. Can you help me navigate this, please? I am 58 and in poor health and since his family has disowned him (they warned me not to marry him) I am stuck with this. I am trying to get our house ready to sell and get these things settled before I get too sick to do anymore. I have POA over my husband. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mr. Simmons, please tell me where I go next.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Would it help to chat on the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like that but I am counting every dollar every husband's irresponsibility has put us in a bad way. Won't this cost me another $15?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

Yes ma'am that is correct

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I paid my $40 for a legal opinion but so far I haven't gotten any information, Mr. Phillips. I read some warnings about this website but I was so desperate for some information. You have not given me any opinion or information I can use. So I just wasted $40. I gave you the basic facts and told you what I needed an now I am being asked to spend another $15 to get the answer I paid $40 for?

Related Military Law Questions