How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14501
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired Navy with 50% disability. I am going through

Customer Question

I am retired Navy with 50% disability. I am going through a divorce in the state of Washington. My wife was only married to me the last 7.5 years of my military carrier. But we have been together for 28 years, living in this god forsaken state after I retired. She is going after both my retirement and my medical pension. My lawyer is scratching her head between the difference of retirement pay and medical pension and my soon to be x's entitlement of either. Need some clear cut federal laws in connection with these. My understanding is that she does not qualify for 50% of my retirement because she does not meet either the 10/10 or 20/20/20 or 20/20/15 rules for my retirement and that she cannot touch my medical pension. I just need references to look up and to give her. This is a community property no fault state and it doesn't matter that she's cheating on me. We are able to argue spousal waste to a tune or 175K over the last 7 years due to gambling.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Happy to help with this; would it help to chat on the phone? I could talk to either you or your attorney about this.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Follow up on this; what is it you're looking for specifically?