How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14457
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is pregnant with the father being a single military

Customer Question

My daughter is pregnant with the father being a single military specialist. He has asked her to sign papers stating he has 51% custody of the baby so he can collect BAH and be able to pay child support with the BAH money. I am under the understanding that BAH has to be used for housing off base or on base and that a specialist may not be allowed this even if he has a dependent. I am also under the understanding child support would be required as long as he is listed on the birth certificate as the father. I have been advised by a civilian attorney to contact JAG to get clarification on this. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Happy to help, are you asking whether or not this 51% is required for him to be ordered to pay the money? Or if the 51% could be used to allow him to receive extra money for the military?