Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I retired 1/2/2015 from fed (EPA). Cynthia Fox stated I have

Customer Question
to pay spouse (married for...
I retired 1/2/2015 from fed (EPA). Cynthia Fox stated I have to pay spouse (married for 17-18 years) who I divorce in 1997 brief telephone conversation on 6/1/2015. She did not say why. My former spouse remarried at the age of 48. The divorce papers were silent on spousal pension ect. I have gotten < 1/3 of my monthly payments. I need written documentation if I suppose to pay my wife any money. Ms. Fox state that I must pay her ~$1450 before taxes. My # *****(###) ###-#### Need to get back with Ms Fox asap before they start parceling out money. Larry Newsome
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/12/2015
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
I don&#39;t know Ms. Fox, but you do not legally have to pay any portion of your military retirement unless your divorce decree specifically stated that you do, and it has to be very specific in that requirement. I would decline to send a penny and tell Ms. Fox that she should read the Uniform Service Former Spouse Protection Act and actually understand what it says before she starts sending out demands for payment.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer