How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19168
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired 1/2/2015 from fed (EPA). Cynthia Fox stated I have

Customer Question

I retired 1/2/2015 from fed (EPA). Cynthia Fox stated I have to pay spouse (married for 17-18 years) who I divorce in 1997 brief telephone conversation on 6/1/2015. She did not say why. My former spouse remarried at the age of 48. The divorce papers were silent on spousal pension ect. I have gotten < 1/3 of my monthly payments. I need written documentation if I suppose to pay my wife any money. Ms. Fox state that I must pay her ~$1450 before taxes. My # *****(###) ###-#### Need to get back with Ms Fox asap before they start parceling out money. Larry Newsome
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I don't know Ms. Fox, but you do not legally have to pay any portion of your military retirement unless your divorce decree specifically stated that you do, and it has to be very specific in that requirement. I would decline to send a penny and tell Ms. Fox that she should read the Uniform Service Former Spouse Protection Act and actually understand what it says before she starts sending out demands for payment.