Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My sister has been divorced from her Military Spouse

Customer Question
for about 25 years....
My sister has been divorced from her Military Spouse for about 25 years. She is still receiving full military retirement spousal benefits and Tricare. She has been living with her "common law" spouse in Texas for over 15 years. Why is she still receiving benefits? She claims that she avoids getting married to, "cheat the government." Is this allowed? She does not claim her common law husband on her tax returns either to avoid any implications. Please explain to me why this is allowed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/1/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma. However I am not sure I understand the question...are you asking if she would loose the benefit(s) if the marriage were reported!?
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer