How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 118239
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2012 my wife had an injury in basic when she fell 10 feet

Customer Question

In 2012 my wife had an injury in basic when she fell 10 feet on her back. She fractured her back, the drill sgt made her get back up. she was walking and sitting for 5 hours before she got medical attention. She needed emergency surgery for a spinal fusion. The Army gave her 10% rating, we fought it and they gave her 20%. My question is, can we try to get a higher rating for her back and what other rights do we have. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only way to appeal the rating is to get another VA doctor to review the case and examine her and get the disability rating increased. That is the only way to "try to get a higher rating," it requires convincing the doctor to say she deserves a higher rating and then you can file an appeal to the board if they will not increase her rating and payments.