How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 35011
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Quest.. Medically Retired Reg Officer USAF with 80% rating

Customer Question

Quest.. Medically Retired Reg Officer USAF with 80% rating (90% VA rating) . Naturalized U.S. Citizen. Living back in Portugal (country of birth) 9 years now.
If i renounce U.S. citizenship what will i loose? Currently 68 years old and drawing reg SS benefits.
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Retired officers & retired enlisted may not voluntarily renounce U.S. citizenship...doing do may result in loss of retired pay and VA benefits.
If you renounced your US citizenship, you are considered a non-resident alien (NRA) and the US Social Security rules for NRAs apply. Generally speaking these require you to return to the US for at least one month out of every six to receive social security.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.