Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

U met a guy online who says he is a soldier in iraq after talking

Customer Question

U met a guy online who says he is a soldier in iraq after talking for several days he said he may be able to get leave if I write a letter asking for it they haven't asked for any money or anything just said they would bexpect setting a account up in my name under a navy federal credit union for his leave bonus to pay for all his travel expenses that I would get the money and have to send the money to him
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I assume you are asking if this might be a scam. I can tell you without reservation, that it is. There is no such thing as a "leave bonus" in the Navy, or any other U.S. military service. They are asking you for money, they are just doing it in a very creative way.
Also, there is never a requirement that anyone write a letter to the Command to ask for leave for the servicemember. In fact, the Command would ignore such a letter, as it is the servicemember and the Command that make that decision. The only exception is in cases of humanitarian leave when someone in the immediate family has died or is gravely ill. In that case, the Red Cross sends a message.
These cyber criminals are very good at what they do and have taken on the identity, in most cases, of a real soldier, sailor, Marine or airman. They steal their pictures and background information from social media and make up what they don't know about the servicemember.
This is a classic scam and you can read more about these types of scams and how to report them by going to: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html
Just to make sure that you understand, that if you send these people money, you will never see them or your money again.
Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.