How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34741
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was discharged from the Army National Guards with a general

Customer Question

I was discharged from the Army National Guards with a general under honorable conditions. How do I and who do I talk to about an upgrade to honorable? I am 40% service connected veteran. I am unable to obtain a home loan certificate due to this circumstance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
To "upgrade" to honorable requires you convince the board of corrections to make this change.
It is by no means have to show that an error was made (that you deserved an honorable discharge and they made a mistake and awarded you the general discharge).
The process to request is simple file this form
With the board of corrections.
But as I mentioned, it is not automatic. You wold need to show that there was a mistake made and because of this they put down the wrong characterization...this can be very difficult to accomplish. It may be worth working with an attorney to assist.
That said, there is no requirement for an honorable discharge for the VA home loan guarantee...a general discharge will qualify you for this benefit (so long as you have 2 years of active service)
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.