Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was wondering if the early out request is still suspended? (U

Customer Question
Hello. I was wondering if...
Hello. I was wondering if the early out request is still suspended? (USN) Even for pregnant women. I have 2 years left in July. So if I have the baby in March of 2016, I will be on shore duty for a year after, right? Could I just early out after I have the baby? My mind has changed and I don't think I can leave my baby. Ever. Especially with my spouse in the military as well. (My rate is Logistic Specialist)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
5/27/2015
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that as of April 2015, while a Pregnant servicewomen may request separation due to pregnancy, these requests are normally denied, unless it is determined to be in the best interest of the Navy or if the member demonstrates overriding and compelling factors of personal need which warrant separation. See: MILPERSMAN 1910-112 or MILPERSMAN 1920-180. Your husband being in the military also could be a overriding and compelling factor only if both of you were activated at the same time in most cases.
You are entitled to a 12 month operational deferment upon delivery of your child and you can request to terminate that at any time before the end of the 12 months.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney