Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Is the divorced wife of a veteran, neither has remarried, eligible…

Customer Question
Is the divorced wife of...
Is the divorced wife of a veteran, neither has remarried, eligible to claim death pension benefits?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Military Law
5/22/2015
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
Yes, you were informed incorrectly. There is actually no law at all stating that if you were married at least 10 years you'd be automatically entitled to anything.
There is a commonly misunderstood "10 year rule" which only applies to whether or not DFAS can directly send funds to a former spouse, but that only applies when a court has ordered a division of military retirement during a divorce. Then, for DFAS to send the funds directly to the former spouse, the marriage must have lasted at least 10 years.
That's not applicable here. You must be married at the time of death to be entitled to any death pension.