Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am a grey area reservist retiree i'm 52 was in military for

Customer Question
29 years - retired as...
I am a grey area reservist retiree i'm 52 was in military for 29 years - retired as Major with approx 4650 points. and married for 27 years. I was in the Military prior to getting married. I divorced and I'm am thinking about going back in the army reserve or national guard. If i get get more points or even get a promotion- get out again and then say I get some VA disabilty . I am trying to word the divorce decree spliting my Military Retirement so that he doesn't benifit from me getting more points but I also want his amount to be minus 50% of any VA disability I may get.
Is it possible to write it that there is only a max $ but that minus 50% VA disabilty, so he doesn't benifit with any additonal points.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
5/20/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
This depends. Is he in agreement with this? He is willing to take less of the pension if you get va disability?
VA disability does Not have to be shared....You clearly don't understand my question fully....
Actually, not true. Take a like at Rose v Rose
481 U.S. 619 (1987)
That holds the courts ability to consider va compensation in a divorce
Would you like to chat on the phone about this...
In Oregon VA disability is not considered income....
as in a Divorce...
The question was really more with the additional points so that he did not benifit from them....
The fact that compensation CAN be considered (under the Rose decision...it is a Supreme Court case) is significant.
Perhaps I am missing the point...are you asking how to draft pleadings to the court for a pending divorce?
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer