Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was arrested just before leaving the military in 97/98. charges

Customer Question

I was arrested just before leaving the military in 97/98. charges were dropped, well nothing ever happened. I want to see if I can get them expunged or at least get some information on the status so that I can apply for a concealed carry permit in the state of texas
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Who arrested you and subsequently dropped the charges?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
US Army CID arrested me at Fort Campbell, Ky. It was right before like literally days before my enlistment time was up. My clearing status was put on hold, but then lifted. I was allowed to ETS from the Army, and never ever heard another thing about it.
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid there is no federal expungement process, so you cannot get the charges expunged I am afraid. Charges against a person that were dismissed are not grounds to deny a concealed carry permit, convictions are grounds to deny the permit. If you are being denied a permit based on dismissed charges, then you can file a motion in court to ask the court to order the issuance of the permit and to not include those dismissed charges as part of the consideration, but I am afraid that there is no federal law allowing for them to actually be removed from your record.