How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son went to MEPS to sign duty army and was talked

Customer Question

My son went to MEPS to sign for active duty army and was talked into signing for the reserves because he was 1 point short of the required ASVAB score for active duty. He really wants to go active. Since he signed the contract for the reserves is there anything he can do now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately no. To back out of any contract would essentially make him unable to join any branch of service, because he'd get a negative reenlistment code. What he has to do is go through training (because it is the same training as active duty members) and do well there. While in, he can go to the local recruiting office and ask about transferring to active duty service. He shouldn't do that during basic training, but instead during his course work for the job he's going into. Then, once he's showing good progress through that phase, he'll be in a much stronger position to seek a transfer into the active service.

Related Military Law Questions