Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Good morning,I have my 22 year old son's Power of Attorney

Customer Question
Good morning, I have my 22...
Good morning,
I have my 22 year old son's Power of Attorney to handle all of his financial matters. He is in need of an attorney familiar with military matters to draw up a Demand Letter to his father who is currently an active duty Major in the Air Force. His father turned over Post 911 GI Bill benefits to our son in 2011 when my son entered college in August of that year. My son will be graduating with honors in two weeks. Between August 2011 and January 2014 his father had my son's monthly BAH and semi-annual Books & Supplies benefits deposited into his personal checking account without my son being on that account. His father was only transferring a fraction of the monthly benefits to my son and when the monthly amounts began varying, my son became suspicious that he was not receiving his monies appropriately. We requested the annual Letters of Eligibility addressed to my son from the VA and realized the amounts he should have been receiving. My son, thereafter, had the direct deposit bank information changed to his own name and his checking account in February 2014 and began receiving his monies accordingly. He has been trying to resolve the issue of recouping his monies for over a year. The Dept. of the VA finally sent USAA Federal Savings Bank a Letter of Indemnity and USAA just informed us that there is nothing they can do due to "the status of the account". Before proceeding to address this issue with his father's Commanding Officer (which we were told would be his last resort), he is wanting to send his father a Demand Letter in order to avoid any negative repercussions that could potentially result from going the route of bringing this very sensitive and personal issue to his father's Commanding Officer and the JAG. Please advise. Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
PS We are in San Antonio Tx and if we need to secure an attorney to draw up a Demand Letter, can you give us a referral?
4/30/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Willing to chat on the phone about this if you like
Will send the offer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer