Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Hello Phil. I am looking to reenlist after being found fit for duty on the temporary duty…

Hello Phil. I am looking...
Hello Phil. I am looking to reenlist after being found fit for duty on the temporary duty retirement list. I have been combing through AR 601-210 to look for what, exactly, is needed to enlist in the National Guard or Regular Active Army. I have no physical disabilities or limitations and I am in great shape. It's the paperwork that seem to be the obstacle. Any guidance?
12/12/2014
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I want to make sure I understand. You were on fdrl for some condition. And later this condition cleared up and they pulled you off tdrl. Is that correct? Are you on active duty currently ?

Yes, that's correct. I was pulled off of tdrl after the condition cleared up and I was found fit for full duty. I am no longer on active duty, I am a civilian at this time and considering either active duty or the national guard. I am hoping to find out more about what options I have b/c the info have received seems very vague and tedious regarding reenlisting. I know there will be a lot of paperwork to fill out, I just want to be sure I am making an informed decision.

Thanks.
Can you tell me
1. How long have you been out?
2. How many years of service do you have so far (not counting tdrl)

I have been out since 2008 and I have a total of 7years and 9 months of service.

Thank you.
I fear that will be your biggest hurdle. You may find it difficult to reenter after being out for so long.
That said, if you have no physical or mental limitations (If what ever condition caused them to initially retire you has resolved ) you would be eligible to reenter.
So there are two issues:
First do you have a mental or physical disability which could prevent you from serving.
Second is there a need for your services in the military currently.
Again, if you have no physical or mental disabilities you should be cleared to enlist. A letter from your doctor stating that whatever issue you had prior has resolved would be helpful. You would want to bring this with you when you meet with a recruiter. If there are no issues mentally or physically the only issue will be do they have a need for your services. To answer this question you need to seek out a recruiter who can help you attempt to reenter
Please let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can.

Ok, that's helpful. I don't have any physical/mental issues at all. Getting the letter from my Dr. shouldn't be too difficult, so I guess I'll just have to see what job's (MOS's) are available. I spoke to a national guard recruiter earlier this week and he mentioned getting waiver signed, which is what led me to seek you out initially. I am going to talk to a Active/Reserve recruiter next week.

Much easier to get in the reserves today. But try both...it may be the active side can use your skills. Be ready for a loss of rank...they may force you to enter at a rank lower than what you wore when you left
Let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Ok, thanks a lot Phil! I really appreciate your help. I'll definitely reach out if any new concerns arise. Have a great weekend and happy holidays.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer