Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am wondering if the army will take me with a felony that

Customer Question
took place when i was...
I am wondering if the army will take me with a felony that took place when i was a minor, im now 20
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
12/12/2014
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
It is unlikely. To get into the service with any criminal record, you have to get a waiver. Waivers are not a right, so you can't actually press for a waiver. It is up to the particular recruiting station on whether or not they want to process one.
Right now, the military is getting smaller, not larger, so the number of jobs that are open is shrinking. Additionally, the poor economy is leading more people to try and join the service. That means you have more people fighting for fewer jobs. Due to that fact, waivers aren't really needed by recruiters right now, because they have plenty of people to fill the jobs they have to fill. In fact, they are turning away fully qualified people that don't even need waivers, because they demand is outstripping the supply.
Simply put, unless you find a recruiter that has a position that they just cannot fill, you can't obtain a waiver right now in the present economic climate.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer