Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My daughter made it almost all the way through bootcamp, the…

Customer Question
My daughter made it almost...
My daughter made it almost all the way through bootcamp, the only things she didn't do were Battlestations and graduate. Her problem was that she couldn't pass the run for the PFA test and while in the FIT program she got bronchitis. She was given time to heal and she was later declared fit for duty, but she just couldn't make the run. Today she called and said she took her last test and missed by 13 seconds, and that she is going to be processed out. And could try to re-enlist after 6 months. I told her to try and appeal being separated. Ask, beg if need be, for more chances and more time to train. She said she is willing to do that. She is supposed to call me in a few days. What advice/directions can I give her. If any?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Military Law
12/11/2014
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your daughter's situation. Unfortunately, at this point, there isn't any policy or procedure that she can use to get more time to pass the PFA. It appears that her Command has given her a second chance, which they don't technically have to do but definitely want to since they have time and resources invested in your daughter and she had a medical issue.

If she wasn't able to complete FIT, perhaps she can try to persuade the Command to put her in that again to see if she can improve her time. The problem is that she will have to pass these PF tests her entire career in the military and they don't get easier. If she can't pass them when she gets to her permanent duty stations, she won't be retained there either. So, she needs to be able to do this now and the bootcamps don't have the luxury of keeping recruits in place very long before they have to make room for new ones.

I am not trying to make excuses for the military, merely trying to explain why she might not have success with requesting another chance. The military is full of very precise rules and, although some may have flexibility, by necessity because of the mission, few do. If she has a particular senior enlisted or officer that she feels will advocate on her behalf, she might want to go to them and see if they will help her. But she also needs to put in the time to run to improve if she can.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.

I was looking for more detailed information on policy and the appeals process. I've hired a lawyer. Thank you for your help.

No, problem, just answering the question I received with the limited amount of information I had. Best of luck to your daughter.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer