Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

What are the consequences of relationship between a

What are the consequences of...
What are the consequences of sexual relationship between a Specialist with her Platoon Sergeant if she realized later it was exploitative?
Are text messages sufficient proof?
The SPC was new to the military; she was not aware she was breaching the policy of fraternization. Would she still be punished?
Thanks.
12/8/2014
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
She can...that is, military law prohibits fraternization...the SPC can be punished for this relationship.
HOWEVER, generally speaking, the higher rank will always be punished more significantly.
I would not expect serious punishment for the SPC based on what you describe.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thank you for your response.

What about text messages? will they read them thoroughly as a proof of exploitation?

What is the least level of punishment for SPC?

Yes...they would consider evidence presented by the SPC...and that could result in lower punishment.
Lest level is no punishment...though I would expect at a minimum the SPC is formally counseled.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer