Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

does the va give backpay for SMC aid and attendance?

how far back will it go? when you were first awarded your 100% comp or just till you applied? thank you
12/5/2014
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. However, I am not sure what the initials SMC stand for, can you clarify that? Also, was disability and aid and attendance filed for simultaneously or was aid and attendance applied for at a later time? Finally, was this an Agent Orange claim or non-Agent Orange VA disability claim?
the sm. stands for special monthly compensation, the smc was applied for at a later time. non-agent orange.
thank you
also i went to my evaluation for the special monthly compensation aid and attendance, and they recommended a psycholgical evaluation (I'm applying for it because of schizophrenia) is this a good sign or a bad one? what does it mean?
Hello again and thank you for that information, it was helpful. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you but I was away from my computer for a bit. If you are referring to the actually claim for SMC, that would date back to the effective date of the original disability determination. So, there would be back pay to that date. On the other hand, if this was an Aid and Attendance application, it will only be effective back to the first day of the month following the application for A and A.
As for whether it is a good or bad sign that they want an evaluation, that is hard to say without looking at your medical record. If you already have an evaluation in the record, then I would be a little concerned that they want to do a new one. That might indicate that they are not sure of the diagnosis. On the other hand, if there is no VA diagnosis or evaluation for this condition yet, then it is a step in the right direction that they want to do an evaluation. They might also be trying to determine if you need Aid and Attendance assistance.
Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
I applied in june for Special Monthly Compensation Aid and Attendance. The form also mentioned something about housebound. But I am not claiming housebound. So I think it is not the aid and attendance pension, but the compensation one. Hope this makes sense ma'am . So, if I understand you rite, I would be getting back pay all the way back from the year 2000? Also, how much extra is smc (I think for aid and attendance, sm. is paid at the L level)
I just got an evaluation for my 100% in feb early this year. Any tips or anything else you think i should know? Thank you so much!
The rate for SMC L, which is what it would be, depends on the number of dependents. You can see the rates though at: http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp02.asp#BM01
Yes, if your diagnosis/condition that you are applying for the SMC for was in your original disability rating, then the SMC would be backdated to that date.
Not sure what you don't know, so difficult to cover everything without specific questions. But, as always, feel free to ask one if it comes to mind. I'll do my best to address it.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer