Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I understand the provisions

Customer Question
that the SCRA provides under...
I understand the provisions that the SCRA provides under TITLE 50 for leases broken when entering TITLE 10 status for more than 90 days, but my problem is I'm a 20 year old college student and AF reservist bound to a year long lease ending in August of 2015, yet have a TDY for around 25-35 days, prohibiting me from taking summer classes and thus receiving the GI Bill (which pays my rent). So I ask, Is there anything I can do to alleviate my payments for the remainder of my lease during the summer as it will effectively debt my summer income which will provide me with the following school year financial securities?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
12/4/2014
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
Regrettably no. Congress, when passing this law, compromised quite a bit to push it through. The ability to break a lease is entirely connected to the length of the time gone and, as you already know, it's 90 days due to orders.
Your loss of the GI Bill, while certainly attributable to your service time, doesn't create any legal angles to force the leaser to take less or for the military to pay into that situation.
I fully understand your situation, having been there myself (former enlisted and I'm now an AF JAG, but I had to use the GI Bill to get through college and sometimes, it just didn't work out), but there is simply no military law that applies to your situation that can help. You'll have to either find part time work over the summer, when you don't have classes or borrow to cover the shortage.
I wish I could tell you differently here, but that's just how the law treats this situation.

So does this constitute as a response that I should pay the $33.00 for, or since information I gave was just restated can I keep my money without feeling like I am costing you?

All I can do is give you the answer to the question. If you happen to know that answer already, I can't really help that.
That being said, if you don't want to accept my answer you are free to leave without doing so. I would, in fact, ask that you just request that I submit your question for a refund rather than you giving me negative feedback.
If you want me to do that, just go ahead and ask...and I'll do so.
Of course, I have to give people bad news all the time and confirm to them what they perhaps feel they already know, but they don't really know. Most of them choose to rate my service well for my expertise in this area, even if all I am doing is confirming what they thought.
The choice is certainly yours soldier.

I suppose my definition of service were blurred between "advice" and "answer".

I wasn't even sure whether this was a real person or an automated bot. But now, seeing the reflections of your integrity- my satisfaction has been fulfilled.

Ok. So, I take that as meaning that you do not want me to process a refund?
If not, please rate my service and if you have other questions, just ask.
That being said, if I misunderstood just tell me and I'll process the refund.
Take care.
We I will ask for a refund as no resolve was made, not that you lacked the expertise, but just didn't meet my satisfaction. With that I wish not to render a bad reputation with a sub pwit rating.
Thank you
I'll process your account for a refund.
Good day.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer