Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Hello, my name is***** wanted to know if I can get

out of the Amry...
Hello, my name is***** wanted to know if I can get out of the Amry because of hardship. Or maybe even transfer to the Army reserves/ national guard. Since they only do drill once in awhile.
12/3/2014
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
Hardship is a form of separation in the military and can involve family or financial issues. Additionally, transfers to a different branch of service is also something that can be done on the same basis. So, that is the good news.
The bad news, potentially, is that separations or transfers in the military are done at commander discretion. No matter what facts you have that may qualify you for one of these options, the commander can't be compelled to do so.
If the chain of command is not interested in being helpful here, regrettably that means that you will not be separated because your command has to be cooperative, initiate the separation and recommend approval of the separation or it won't happen.
I do wish I could tell you differently here, but separations are always dependent on command approval.
Hello, thank you for you reply back to me with your answer. This new commander and 1sg I have is not very helpful. I will try to talk to them and see if they'll be cooperative.
Unfortunately, that is your only option. Hopefully, they can be made to see reason and have some compassion.
They really should be willing to let you go as the military, as a whole, is trying to get smaller.
Good luck going forward and please rate my service.
Allen M., Esq.