Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

A military officer tracked me down when he learned I had breast…

Customer Question
A military officer tracked me...
A military officer tracked me down when he learned I had breast cancer for the third time. he told me he had been searching for me for years and he still loved me and I am his soulmate lalala. To make a long story short we had a romance that I quickly learned was his fantasy. I challenged him on many issues to learn that he was not divorced nor getting one and he was very much married in another state. So I feel he prayed on me because I was sick and weak and took advantage of me and abused his military rank in doing so. I think he has a habit of doing this from state to state with other women and I want to let his Seniors know so that He is stopped. How do I go about doing so? I don't seem to be getting any straight answers and the military is good at protecting their own especially their officers which is another reason why they get away with this behavior! He almost ruined my life, I want to stop him from ruining someone else's!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Military Law
12/2/2014
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
If you know what base this person is located, all you can do is contact that base JAG office and report the behavior.
In the civilian world, what you have described is not illegal at all, so only in the military can this be considered a crime. I just want you to understand that, because you were talking about the military protecting officers. That's not entirely true, as I have prosecuted many officers for similar behavior. I have also seen many discharged from the service before they got their retirement due to the counseling and non-judicial punishment that these officers sometimes receive.
However, another thing that you have to understand about the military is that commanders determine if charges are filed, not the victim. I know this seems unfair, but in truth, it's not much different than the civilian world where prosecutors decide whether or not charges go forward....again, not the victim.
So, you have report this matter to the JAG office where this officer is located, so that they can let his commander know about this matter. That commander can then choose to initiate an investigation and file criminal or other administrative actions against the officer, if that commander chooses to do so.
Now, you still retain the rights to a civil suit that you would have against someone with no military affiliation. As I said before, outside of the military this person's behavior was not strictly illegal....however, you could have a civil claim against this person in personal injury based on misrepresentation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. These are not crimes...they are called torts and you would need a personal injury attorney to bring those claims in an effort to retrieve lost funds and to financially punish him for your damages. Again, you have this whether or not the commander in this case chooses to take criminal action.
Hi thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Im not sure where he is based out of "officially?" He lives in Tucson Arizona but had all his paperwork and such transferred out of San Diego when he went to Afghanistan last year so he could spend more time with me. This time last year I picked him up when he returned from AFG off 32nd street. He is in the Reserves and works for Raython in Tucson. My main concern is the mental manipulation over time. There was a point where I was losing my house. He told many of my friends that "I didn't need my house because he was going to buy me a bigger one!" He even had the nerve to talk me out house hunting to look at "our future home??" If I was one of those women whom just "falls in love so quickly, holds on to every loving word" then I could have lost my house. Luckily, I was already questioning his actions and beat him at his game. However, to this day he has no idea I won my lawsuit and got my house back. But what if I believed him and his words and all the dreams he had promised me?? I would be homeless today and that is what makes his actions criminal! For some women, what he did to me would have been suicidal…yes I've seen it. He has a "Godly Complex" and has no concern of his affects on others. His actions do need to be reported, but to the right person who will understand the severity of what he is doing. I know they will NOT allow a civilian on to the base at 32nd street so do I just call JAG?
Yes, you would just call that JAG office, report this person's name and ask them to try and identify this person's unit and commander. They can then send the information to that commander or you can speak with the commander.
Do I tell them of the misconduct or just ask right from the beginning who is his unit commander?
You can explain the misconduct so that they understand the reason to get you in contact with the commander and so that they can also be ready to follow up with the commander, as we (the JAG's) advise commanders on what to do in these situations.