Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am in a Facebook romance with a Major General Dean J Milner…

Customer Question
I am in a Facebook...
I am in a Facebook romance with a Major General Dean J Milner With Security foces from Canada stationed in Kabul Afghanistan. His this a scam or is he really the one
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Military Law
10/5/2014
Military Lawyer: US_JAG, Military Lawyer replied 3 years ago
US_JAG
US_JAG, Military Lawyer
USMC_JAG :

Hello, I am an attorney with seven years experience as a military prosecutor, defense lawyer, and command legal advisor. I will be answering your question here today.

USMC_JAG :

I have seen similar circumstances dozens of times and they have been a scam every time. I can not tell you for sure if you are talking to the real Major General or not. Right now I am 99% sure it is not him and that this person will soon be asking you for money. If he asks you for money, then I am 100% sure it is not him. There is a very common scamming going around where people pose as generals or deployed servicemembers in order to con money from unsuspecting women. In fact, a general I advised a couple of years ago was a victim of such a scam when people were posing as him online.

USMC_JAG :

I strongly urge you to break off contact and not become more involved than you already are. If you cannot, then the best thing you can do is be aware that you may be participating as a victim in a scam and realize that the second he asks you for anything, you can be certain that you are not talking to the general and that it is a scam.

USMC_JAG :

Please let me know if you have any follow-on questions. I am sorry to bring you bad news, but hope that it saves you some money and future heartbreak. If you have already sent money, please report it to the police.

USMC_JAG :

I believe I have answered your question. If so, please take a moment to leave positive feedback. It only takes a second and I do not get paid unless you do.

US_JAG
US_JAG
US_JAG, Military Lawyer