Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Under the USFSPA is there a time limit in which a spouse can…

Under the USFSPA is there...
Under the USFSPA is there a time limit in which a spouse can receive the portion of the service members retired pay or does it stop when one or the other dies?
10/4/2014
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
The statute on this is silent on the issue, so unless the divorce court specifies a specific time frame, the award is considered to be for the life of the awardee unless predeceased by the retiree.
No no, there is no statutory time limit built it. It is considered permanent unless the divorce court built in a time frame.
Allen M., Esq.