Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My ex-spouse retired from the Navy after 20 years of service.

We did not marry until...
My ex-spouse retired from the Navy after 20 years of service. We did not marry until he had been retired for a year. We were married 15 years. The marriage and divorce took place in the state of California. While married to him I was able to use the Commissary and Exchange, access our local Naval Base and use Tricare medical. Now that we are divorced am I still entitled to ANY of these benefits?
Donna
Ventura, CA
10/4/2014
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.
Unfortunately no, you aren't.
To be eligible for those benefits in your own right, you have to meet the criteria for the 20/20/20 rule under the Uniform Service Former Spouse Protection Act.
That rule requires that your marriage be at least 20 years, that his service be at least 20 years and that your marriage overlapped 20 years of service (meaning that you were a military spouse during his service time).
You are not able to meet two of those criteria as your marriage did not last 20 years and your marriage didn't start until after he was already retired.
I wish I could tell you differently here, but this rule is dictated by federal statute and there is no means of getting around it.
Allen M., Esq.