Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Hello, I served in the Navy for a little over 5 years. My…

Customer Question
Hello, I served in the Navy...

I served in the Navy for a little over 5 years. My fisrt contract was a five year with an extension for submarine duty. I then reennlisted in 2012 and started a second term. Shortly after I received an OTH and was discharged later in 2012. My DD214 shows that my service was from 2007 when I joined to 2012 when I was discharged with an OTH. Seeing as I served my first 5 years and reenlisted I should still qualify for benefits from my first period of honorable service. I received a portion of my reenlisment bonus for which I am now paying back but have no official documentation showing my honorable discharge when I reenlisted. Hopefully this helps and we can figure out what I should be doing to resolve this if anything. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/7/2014
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You are correct. That is, you say

Seeing as I served my first 5 years and reenlisted I should still qualify for benefits from my first period of honorable service.

Your final DD214 should reflect the prior service. That is all you need for VA benefits. You will qualify for all VA benefits based on that reenlistment (since to reenlist, the original enlistment is finished off 'honorably"...so you have honorable service despite the OTH on your most recent enlistment.

You may need to work with a local VSO (veterans services officer) like myself to ensure your claim points this out to the VA.

Please let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can