Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

They still havnt charged me with anything and im 24 days past…

They still havnt charged me...
They still havnt charged me with anything and im 24 days past my EAS/ECC. How long can they keep me on legal hold and not charge me?
3/6/2014
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

They can keep you if there is a pending investigation...there is a pending investigation, correct?

The CID agent just spoke with me yesterday and told me that he was done with the investigation. He had on last question that I answered and he told me " thats all I have for you ill send this up to the CO, and work on getting your phone back."

Thanks

Then I expect you should hear soon how this unfolds.

The CID has to submit the investigation to your commander (likely Battalion...but perhaps Brigade...depends on who ordered it)

The commander then needs to decide how to proceed. If they plan to court martial you? Then they will need to refer charges to court.

Otherwise I would expect them to release you at the end of your contract.

If you want to press matters? You can write a letter to your commander demanding a "speedy trial"

The US Constitution requires they proceed to trial with "due diligence"...if you demand a speedy trial, it puts pressure on the commander to move quickly to resole the charges

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Well they charged me with 112a; but my 1stsgt said the are going to NJP me in order to save my benefits. I have no idea why he would say that if he wasnt planning on giving me a fair shake at the NJP.

Technically they are not supposed to keep you past your EAS for NJP.

But I would not fight this...I would let them run NJP and discharge you so you an avoid court martial

You have been helpfull every step of the way sir; thank you. I accepted it and im moving on. Semper Fi.

Go get em Marine.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer