Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Can the military kick u out for having a STI?

I'm in the National guard...
Can the military kick u out for having a STI? I'm in the National guard but on active duty orders right now.
3/6/2014
US_JAG
US_JAG, Military Lawyer

USMC_JAG :

Hello. I am an attorney with 6+ years experience as a military prosecutor, defense lawyer, and command legal advisor. I will be answering your question this morning.

USMC_JAG :

To paraphrase broadly, the military can only separate you for medical purposes if it interferes with your ability to do your job. There are a lot of details to that, but they are not necessary for your situation. The military is not going to kick you out for having an STD/STI. There are active duty personnel who have HIV and are serving honorably. Certain STDs can keep you from enlisting or signing up to begin with, but they will not get you kicked out. The main thing I would worry about if I were you is if you have been deployed for a while and having an STD is going to indicate that you had sex while deployed. Depending on the base you might be on, that would not be legal. But you aren't going to get in trouble or separated for having an STD.

USMC_JAG :

I believe I have answered your question but, if not, please feel free to ask for clarification. If I have answered it, please leave positive feedback. It only takes a second and I do not get paid unless you do. Best of luck.

Customer: Thank you. I was worried about that
USMC_JAG :

No worries. Please let me know if you have any follow ups and, if not, please take a moment to leave positive feedback.

US_JAG
US_JAG, Military Lawyer