Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am an active duty Soldier with over 23 years of service.

Customer Question
I received a letter of...
I am an active duty Soldier with over 23 years of service. I received a letter of reprimand that has been placed in my permanent hr file. I am planning to start working on my retirement this year. My question is if that letter of reprimand will affect me of having an honorable discharge.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/5/2014
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is Allen and I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.

An LOR on it's own is not going to be enough to change your discharge status from honorable. Even Article 15's don't typically, by themselves, justify the reduction of an honorable to a general. This is particularly true given your long history of service.

Obviously, it would have an effect on your ability to receive any additional promotions, but that is a different matter than your discharge status.