Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I received a General under Honorable Conditions discharge from…

I received a General under...
I received a General under Honorable Conditions discharge from the Air Force August 2011 for misconduct. I had received multiple LOC's and one LOR for being late to work, not getting a haircut, and not following technical data properly.
Before I had joined I was not exactly mentally prepared for it. My parents had given me the choice of moving out or joining so I did. By the way, I was a handful and they had their reasons I blame myself completely for this.. Basic went fine, besides one attention to detail mess-up (was issued 3 military dress button ups, not 4. Didn't report this to my CO, she found out and publicly humiliated me haha good times). Tech school went fine. Once I reached my first duty station is when I began to screw up. I always had trouble sleeping and my mind didn't have a built in alarm clock so getting up in the morning was the biggest issue.. After a few write ups and criticism from my superiors I sought psychiatric counseling to see if there was an underlying issue involved. I was diagnosed ADHD and prescribed 54mg Concerta. Now, this medication cured my lack of attention to detail, but the side effects nearly killed me. After a few weeks I developed the worst case of insomnia I've ever experienced. At one point I had not slept for 3 days straight. I also developed escalating depression and mood swings after a few weeks on the meds. I tried to get them to lower the dosage or change meds but my psychiatrist wouldn't. This all combined with the fear and stress of me losing my chance at a military career made everything worse.. I was eventually released with a General under Honorable conditions discharge.. As soon as I was released I completely abandoned thought of ever touching that medication again. After serving my time as a civilian working, thinking, and learning, I want to know If it's possible to fix this and re-enlist. After going through this regrettable experience and learning life's lessons I have grown into someone different. I now have no problems getting up on time which was my biggest issue and it means so much to me now to go back and redeem myself. I joined for the right reasons. I just feel it was not at the right time... I am hoping the Army would take me. Please send me your expert feedback and thank you.
3/1/2014
Allen M., Esq.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.

Unfortunately, this is going to be very difficult to accomplish. To get back in, you have to change both your discharge status and your RE code. You can't accomplish both of those through the same process, which is why this is so difficult.

First, you have to upgrade you discharge from General to honorable through the DD Form 293 process. This is hard enough to do by itself, because they just don't upgrade many of these discharges. If you can show positive life changes over a period of time, and demonstrate how the discharge is hindering your life goals, you may be able to get this upgraded. About 25% or less get upgraded each year through that board.

Then you have to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board to change your RE code. This is the really difficult step, because they don't upgrade records; they correct records. So, you'd have to establish that your RE code was an error at the time it was given, or that it was an injustice. That's hard to establish if you actually did commit the offenses that led to your discharge.

The first step, the DD Form 293, is worth doing multiple times, even if you never get back into the military. It will make your civilXXXXX XXXXXfe easier, so that's not a waste of time to try at all.
Allen M., Esq.
Thank you. I'm going to follow through with the process. I strongly believe i had just joined too early. I will do whatever it takes to reenlist.
Good luck.