How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20355
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, I served

This answer was rated:

I have a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, I served in Vietnam for 13 months as a Marine in combat situations, I had numerous close calls, we were the first combat Marines in Chu Lai and had to secure the arena for the Seabees. On Leave I did have a couple of NJP's, drunk and disorderly, talking back to superiors... I was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal and several others. I finished up active duty in the states at a training facility where I had a couple more similar NJP's. I worked hard and was an excellent Marine 90% of the time according to fitness reports. I've been a model citizen and family man since. I do have some service connected disabilities that are rearing their head from my time in country. I'd like to have my discharge upgraded... what are the chances. I'm 68 yrs. old.

Thank you for the information and your question. In all honesty I can't say that your chances today would be any better than they were 20 years ago. The standard for upgrading is whether or not the discharge characterization would unjust or made in error. So, unless you have some evidence that one of those situations exist, your chances for an upgrade are not great. That doesn't mean you can't try.

You don't say why you want to upgrade, but if you are concerned about being qualified for medical care from the VA, then you are already qualified. You would not need an Honorable Discharge in order to receive medical care or VA disability compensation. With Honorable and General discharges there are no questions of qualification. Even if someone has an OTH, the VA is free to evaluate the facts of the case individually and decide on coverage for them. The only discharges that are automatic disqualifiers are BCD and a DD.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Any problems with getting a VA Home Loan?



Hello again Tom--I apologize for the short delay in getting back to you, but I was out of my office. In any event, no, you would qualify for a VA Home Loan Guarantee with a General Discharge. You can see the eligibility requirements by going to:

Marsha411JD and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 23rd. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit (paid from the deposit you left with the Site) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.