How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34304
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mr. Simmons: I just received my VA determination of compensation

This answer was rated:

Mr. Simmons:

I just received my VA determination of compensation claim, I am at 60%. Is my retired pay and VA comp pay separate or on concurrent receipt? I have 25 years Army (combined Active Duty and Reserve time, I was deployed to Vietnam and later to Afghanistan), retired because of age (60yrs old).

Nick Cressy
COL, MS, USA ret.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Depends on how many years of active many years active duty (title 10 service) did you serve sir?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
4 years enlisted and a combined total of 10 years as an officer (as a reservist on various active duty orders - total 14 years.
Thank you sir

You will qualify for CRDP (combined receipt of disability pay). This is a program that allows a veteran to keep both VA compensation AND military retired pay IF the vet has 20 or more years of service.

Since you have 20 plus years of service and since you are drawing reserve retired pay now, you are eligible for BOTH. This should happen automatically...once your claim is approved, the VA will work with DFAS to start your combined receipt. SO you do rate both

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions