P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My sisters husband is in the Louisiana National Guard. He recently

My sisters husband is in the Louisiana National Guard. He recently entered a substance abuse center in New Orleans. The unit Chaplain has taken over his money and has placed my sister on a 400 dollar a month allowance. The Chaplain has all of the money and my sister has to submit an itemized budget to him for review before he will issue her any money. She has not heard from her husband since his admission into rehab. The chaplain has also been telling others to not speak to my sister. Under what authority can he do this?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There is no authority for this. None. A Chaplin has no authority to do this.

Your husband can, and should, complain to his commanding officer. There is no rule or regulation that would allow a Chaplin to take this action.

If the commanding officer will not step in and fix this? I would contact his elected representative (congressman). They can engage and stop this. Again, there is no rule or regulation that would allow a Chaplin to step in and control money of a service member.

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your information. I have been in contact with battalion headquarters and the LTC is going to adress this situation.

Yea!

Great to hear it

Good luck

Phil