How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19306
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1963 I received a undesirable discharge. When I was 17

This answer was rated:

In 1963 I received a undesirable discharge. When I was 17 a pedifile enticed me into some disgusting behavior. I was transferred to another ship and over a year later they came and questioned me about it. It never happened again. I am presently 70 and have been a minister for the last 30 years. Is there any chance of getting this reversed?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.

The problem here, unfortunately, is that you waited too long to be able to use the process that was likely to be the most effective.

There are two methods to upgrade a discharge. DD Form 293, which you can do only within 15 years following the discharge, is the best method with the most success.

The other method is through filing a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board. On your facts, you certainly have a good legal argument to suggest that your discharge at that time was an injustice, particularly given the shift in military thinking over the years. It would be worth at least filing that discharge upgrade request, but with the understanding that you would be using the less successful board due to the length of time since your discharge.
Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you