How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34741
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i get my military records sealed

This answer was rated:

how do i get my military records sealed
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

It is not actually possible to "seal" a military record...that simply is not an available provision under the law.

It is possible to "correct" a record...if there is mistake in the record, the board of corrections for military records has the power to make changes to a record, including removing information that was placed in error.

But it is not possible to seal.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i've knowed some frends that thay told me there recordes were sealed just dont want family or friends to have acsess to them is there nothing i can do?

You can refuse to allow access. Under the Privacy Act of 1974 your records are protected from disclosure UNLESS you grant access. So simply do not allow access. may be that an employer wants access to give you a job. In that case you have to weigh the desire for the job vs your desire to prevent access. But you have the final say on access to your records

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you