How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an ex-spouse of a retired army soldier rank of LTC. We

This answer was rated:

I am an ex-spouse of a retired army soldier rank of LTC. We were married for 27 years what am I entitled to.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

Were you awarded any portion of his military retirement in your divorce?

How long did your marriage overlap his military service?
I'm not sure if you saw my questions, and if so, why you didn't answer them.

They are legally significant questions.

A former spouse is not legally entitled to a portion of military retirement unless the divorce court specifically awards a portion of that retirement in the divorce decree. The military is not in control of this issue at all, so you must look to your divorce decree.

Now, for other potential benefits, what matters is how long your marriage overlapped military service. You said you were married for 27 years, but to be entitled to an ID card and TRICARE, your marriage had to have overlapped 20 years of military service. If it did, then you are entitled to a military ID, TRICARE and commissary/px privileges as though you were a retiree yourself.
Allen M., Esq. and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I am told that I am entitled to the 200.000.00 military insurance money if my ex-spouse were to pass. Is this true

Military insurance is based on the named beneficiary. If you are still named the beneficiary, then it would go to you. If he changed beneficiaries, which is allowed to do by law, then it won't go to you.

Related Military Law Questions