Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am an ex-spouse of a retired army soldier rank of LTC. We

I am an ex-spouse of...
I am an ex-spouse of a retired army soldier rank of LTC. We were married for 27 years what am I entitled to.
8/29/2013
Allen M., Esq.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

Were you awarded any portion of his military retirement in your divorce?

How long did your marriage overlap his military service?
I'm not sure if you saw my questions, and if so, why you didn't answer them.

They are legally significant questions.

A former spouse is not legally entitled to a portion of military retirement unless the divorce court specifically awards a portion of that retirement in the divorce decree. The military is not in control of this issue at all, so you must look to your divorce decree.

Now, for other potential benefits, what matters is how long your marriage overlapped military service. You said you were married for 27 years, but to be entitled to an ID card and TRICARE, your marriage had to have overlapped 20 years of military service. If it did, then you are entitled to a military ID, TRICARE and commissary/px privileges as though you were a retiree yourself.
Allen M., Esq.

Okay. I am told that I am entitled to the 200.000.00 military insurance money if my ex-spouse were to pass. Is this true

Military insurance is based on the named beneficiary. If you are still named the beneficiary, then it would go to you. If he changed beneficiaries, which is allowed to do by law, then it won't go to you.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer