How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34756
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1999, an enlisted friend of mine in the Air Force submitted

This answer was rated:

In 1999, an enlisted friend of mine in the Air Force submitted a forged marriage license to draw additional housing pay, and after getting the additional money for one month and claiming to feel guilty and fearing getting caught, submitted a forged annulment, which was accepted and processed by the personnel office at that time. The friend then separated from service "honorably" in 2000 and went to school and now works at a bank in finance. This friend wants to know, is there any statutory limitation on these crimes, and is there any way to "fix" the past?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

There IS a statute of limitations. It is 5 years. So the statute of limitations has long expired. Also, once your friend left active duty the military lost jurisdiction over him or her for prosecution.

So there is no way for the government to prosecute you friend at this point

That said, there is no statute of limitation on debt recover to the US government. SO your friend could confess this to the government if they feel the need to. And while the government would not be able to prosecute, they could collect the money that was obtained illegally (that one month extra pay)

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you