How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34542
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter married a guy who is in the Army. He said his

This answer was rated:

My daughter married a guy who is in the Army. He said his credit was bad so all utilities are in her name. My parents had to get a minivan in their name so she could have transportation for the children, yet he has bought two trucks in his own name. Basically, my family and myself have clothed the children. Under the UCMJ isn't he held responsible to take care of his family?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

It is not the UCMJ directly that requires him to take care of his family. However, there is an Army regulation that does require he provide support. Can you tell me, are they living together (in the same home)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, on post. My daughter has three children two of them are 14 months apart. The third child was born two weeks ago. My parents have also provided cell phones in their name, bought groceries and had his truck fixed twice. My daughter is a stay at home mom. He hasn't even help pay on her student loan. I also believe that he has received life insurance money from his grand father just passing away. It's a bad situation and I think she might be afraid of him, I've heard him verbally abuse her.
Thank you

You can see the regulation that applies here

You can see in Chapter 2 if they are living apart (she is not living with him and not in base housing) there is a specific amount of money he is required to provide

But what you describe? If they are living in base housing? Then there is no further obligation...there is no obligation to provide more support

I am sorry to have to bear bad news...but what you describe, the Army is not going to get into the middle of their finances. mention abuse. That is a separate issue. And the Army will take reports of abuse seriously. Your daughter can contact the Family Advocacy office on the base and they can give her more information on how to report abuse

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: the Army is not going to get into the middle of this couples finances. But if he is abusing her? The Army will get involved to protect her and her children.
P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions