How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20227
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My retired military Army BG just divorced me for a younger

This answer was rated:

My retired military Army BG just divorced me for a younger women, I have a court order that his military pay of $8,800 per month is to be divided at 50% for each ~ there is SBP to be taken out, before the $8,800 is divided I am submitting the court order to DFAS tomorrow my big question is if he dies will my check keep coming from DFAS.

Renee Orr

Thank you for the information and your question. Based on the information you provided, you will continue to receive payment from DFAS, but it will be in the form of the SBP, not retired pay. In other words, retired pay stops upon the death of the retiree, but SBP, if elected takes over at the time of their death. You would need to report his death and apply for your SBP payments at his death. You can find out how to do that at:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay he only took out SBP @ 25% ~ is there any way i can increase the % maybe to 50% as 25% is not going to provide but $2,200.00 ~ any suggestion?

Hello again. The only way that can change is if the court orders a higher percentage election for you. Otherwise, he couldn't change if he wanted to if he has already made the election.

Related Military Law Questions