Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I married my second wife long after I retired. Several years

I married my second wife...
I married my second wife long after I retired. Several years later I paid over $5,000. in back premiums and enrolled my second wife. Can I now drop her coverage without her consent?
7/20/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Unless you are between the 25th month through the 36th month of your retirement, you cannot terminate SBP coverage for your spouse unless she passes away, or you divorce and the court does not order you to continue SBP coverage.

You can see what DFAS says about this issue by going to: http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/provide/sbp/change.html

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Does that apply to s second spouse married long after retirement?

Yes, it applies to any SBP election.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer